We’re passionate about birds and nature. That’s why we opened a Wild Birds Unlimited Nature Shop in our community.
The Village at Waugh Chapel,
1304 Main Chapel Way
Gambrills, MD 21054
Phone: (410) 451-6876
Email: Send Message
Mon - Fri: 10:00 am - 6:00 pm
Sat: 9:00 am - 6:00 pm
Sun: 11:00 am - 4:00 pm
• NABA National Butterfly count.
• Cicadas start calling.
• Watch local ponds for immature herons and bitterns.
• First brood of immature hummingbirds begin to show up at nectar feeders early in the month.
• Thistle plants begin to seed; goldfinches gather thistledown for nesting material.
• Blackbirds begin to flock and appear at feeders.
• Listen for the feeding screeches of young Barred and Great Horned Owls.
• Shorebird migration starts.
• Butterfly milkweed in bloom. Look for Monarch Butterfly adults, eggs and larva.
• Look for hummingbirds feeding on Trumpet Creeper, Jewelweed and Cardinal flowers.
• Delta Aquarids Meteor shower peaks in late-July.
• Peak month for summer wildflowers to bloom.
• Flocks of nighthawks can be seen late in the month.
• Shorebird migration builds and waterfowl migration starts.
• Monarch Butterfly migration begins.
• Early warblers (Cape May, Tennessee, Magnolia, Blackburnian) migrate through the area.
• Osprey and raptor migration begins.
• American Goldfinches finish nesting late this month.
• Second brood of hummingbirds begin to appear at feeders early- to mid-month.
• Asters and Lobelias start blooming.
• Perseids Meteor shower is mid-month.